Thursday, June 7, 2012

Review: Underworld by Meg Cabot (Abandon #2)


Title: Underworld by Meg Cabot
Published: May 8th, 2012 by Point
Source: Won from
Format: Paperback ARC
Challenge(s): ABC Challenge
Grade rate: A-

 Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn’t dead. Not this time. But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey. Her captor, John Hayden, claims it’s for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they’ve come back as Furies, intent on vengeance…on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves. But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there…and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies. And unless Pierce is careful, this time there’ll be no escape.

My Review

I liked Underworld much better than Abandon!  The main reason is that Pierce doesn’t come across as a whiny brat with very poor decision making, as she did in the first book.

In Underworld, Pierce is much more mature and (unlike the misleading synopsis) she does want to be with John regardless of where they happen to be.   She is more outspoken, and not afraid of John or her feelings for him.  Pierce is loyal, beautiful, sensitive and caring.  One of the best things I liked about this book is that John is in it much more than in the first.  We finally get to really know him, his story, why he acts the way he does and to what extent he will go to protect Pierce.  *Love you John!*

We get to visit with some of the characters from Abandon, Pierce’s mom, uncle Chris, Alex and Kayla; but we also get to know some characters from the underworld that are John’s ‘crew’.  I particularly liked Frank and little Henry. 

The story picks up right after the events of Abandon and we follow how John and Pierce deal with each other and their new found relationship.  I’ve always loved Greek mythology and I love this take on the myth of Hades and Persephone, even if it is much less literal.  The plot is much better and action packed. Meg’s writing is flawless, easy to read, interesting, and lyrical and her character building is impeccable.

The ending was good, but a bit ambiguous; still I can’t wait for Awaken, the last part of the trilogy, due out sometime next year.

About the cover:  The cover is amazingly beautiful, with deep purple color and with whimsical swirls and font.  In it we see Pierce with her long dark hair and flowing white dress being pulled ‘under’ by John’s hand.  As I said, beautiful. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved Abandon. I have Underworld, but haven't started it yet. I'm glad you liked this one more than the first!

    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do really like the cover on Underworld. I have the first book in this series waiting for me and now I'm excited to read both books:) Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like this series gets better, now I'm wishing for book #3 :(

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...