Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
Published: July 12th, 2011 by Scholastic Press
Source: Bought at Author's Event
Grade rate: A-

then.

When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their love moved from a curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

now.

That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever.

Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment - a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.


Review

Endings and goodbyes are always bittersweet and often sad.   This is one of the books that I was eagerly expecting, the conclusion of the trilogy composed by 'Shiver' and 'Linger' that has been so endearing to me.  It was a great novel and a fitting conclusion, even if I was somewhat expecting it to be more.

I think that part of the magic of these books is the fact that apart Sam and Grace are somewhat normal young adults that have been trough their share of heartbreak.  But together they are something different, something more.  They are like two parts of a whole and the whole is a wonderful thing to witness.  Their relationship is so sweet, poignant, deep and real, that all around them can see it and feel how special this kind of love is. 

The novel has chapters that alternate from Grace, Sam, Cole and Isabel's point of view (the same format that we saw in 'Linger'.)  I have to say that when it was introduced in 'Linger' it seemed intrusive to have two other character's point of view, but now I felt I was more invested in Cole's story (sorry, but I can't make myself like Isabel.)  All the characters grow as individuals, with more responsibility and more insight into themselves.

We also have a better understanding of both wolf pack dynamics and of what makes them lose their humanity.  It must be horrible to know that little by little you will lose yourself, until there is nothing left, but an animal.  I can understand Sam's reluctance and how hard he fought to always remain human.

It is really hard for me to review this book without spoilers because I would love to know what others think out the ending (if you want to discuss, email me!)  I feel like ‘Forever’ left few untied ends, and I suppose it was Ms. Stiefvater's intention that we choose the ending that we would like.  If that it's the case, I believe that Sam and Grace found their happily ever after and that Cole found peace, and a purpose, and a cure for the wolves. 

Overall this book was a distinct pleasure to read.  Ms. Stiefvater's writing is so beautiful, that it feels like reading poetry.  Her descriptions of the different settings, including the forest makes these places come alive for you.  I think one of her biggest accomplishment is the clarity in which she can convey feelings.

About the cover:  Forever’s cover is beautiful, just as the covers for the previous books were.  This time we see Sam in the woods walking towards a wolf, presumably Grace.

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...