Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1)

Title: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (Pseudonym)
Published: August 3rd, 2010 by HarperCollins
Source: Library
Grade Rating: B+


In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.
I Am Number Four is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.


Review


About two weeks ago my mom (visiting from Puerto Rico) and I rented 'I Am Number Four' and watched with my hubby.  We really liked this movie, it is a fast-paced, action packed thriller, and of course it made me want to go out and get the book.  So, last week when I was visiting my local library, there it was just calling my name.  How was I supposed to resist the call? 

I don't want to write this review to compare the movie and the book, instead I will concentrate on the novel.  The book it's slow paced at the beginning, but we need to understand the background information about Lorien and what the 'children' can do and are expected to do.  It is kind of strange how they are so similar to humans, right down to the nervousness, and insecurities.  I was happy that not a lot of mysteries were left uncovered and we didn't have to eagerly wait for some answers (for example how to open the chest.)

The story is written on first person, from John's point of view.  He is a likable character, just a tad too insecure for my taste.  The rest of the characters are very distinct and well fleshed out.  The romance story with Sarah is somewhat corny and they fall in love really fast, especially since this is a lifetime commitment for John.  Also, how Mark goes from enemy to friend is a little hard to believe.

Overall, I enjoyed 'I Am Number Four' and will definitely read the sequel 'The Power of Six' that will be published in August of this year.  'I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Six's Legacy' it's a spin-off from the series and  it comes out in July.

About the cover:  I liked this cover, better than the movie tie-in edition.  The red and orange are the colors  fire, which is one of Four's Legacies.  If you have seen the movie, you know what the symbol is.  If you haven't seen the movie, what are you waiting for?  Run the the nearest Red Box now!

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...