Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: The Famous Heroine by Mary Balogh

Title: The Famous Heroine by Mary Balogh (ADULT NOVEL)
Publised: October 25th 2011 by Dell Publishing Company
Source: Purchased
Grade Rate: B
Cora Downes has beauty, spirit, and money, but no breeding. Yet when she gains renown for a daring rescue, she finds herself thrust into high society. Innocent and adrift in a world of beautiful banquets, bejeweled gowns, and snobbish standards, Cora is quickly compromised into a marriage—to a frivolous lord whose interests seem to lie elsewhere. But could piercingly blue-eyed and well-mannered Francis Kneller turn out to be the most unexpected love of her life?
My Review

A couple of weeks ago I saw this book at the grocery store and all of the sudden I felt like reading a good romance.  And that is just what I did!
Cora is such a delightful character.  She is full of life, she is realistic, naïve and prone to unusual “situations” that are hilarious.  Francis is a strong character and I love his instant understanding of Cora and the fact that they could laugh together (no so much his choice of clothing).  All the other characters were likeable and pragmatic.
Ms. Balogh is one of my favorite historical authors and she has a similar style to Julia Quinn (my all-time-favorite).  The plot was not devious or mysterious, but simple and done well.  The story flowed at a good pace that made the romance believable. 
The Famous Heroine is a very entertaining, short novel that I really enjoyed.  I will read the Plumed Bonnet (pictured here) and review it at a later time.

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...