Saturday, December 10, 2011

Review: Illusions by Aprilynne Pike (Wings #3)

Title: Illusions by Aprilynne Pike
Publised: May 3rd 2011 by HarperCollins
Source: Library audiobook
Grade rate: B-

Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.

My Review

Illusions is the third installment of the Wings series.  I liked Illusions a lot better than Spells (the second book), but not as much as Wings. 
Laurel is still learning how to be a mixer and spent her second summer in Avalon.  I was a little disappointed of not going into Avalon with her; instead we just get a brief visit.  On the other hand, I was so happy that Tamani as he is my favorite character.  His devotion and complete love for Laurel is just touching and bittersweet.  David is as sweet as ever, but just can’t like him as much as I do Tam.  The part I liked the least was that the book gave a lot of importance to the love triangle.  Don’t get me wrong, is not that I don’t like triangles as a principles, but Laurel took it to the extreme.  She is so confused about her feelings that she works herself up to be in constant angst about it.  Maybe is just me, but it doesn’t make sense for a fairy to want to build a permanent relationship with a human.
A new character is introduced in this book named Yuki and she is another fairy.  Klea (the scary “commando” lady from Spells) asks Laurel to keep an eye on her, and part of the plot in this book is trying to figure out if Yuki is a threat or not.
One of the things I like was the alternating point of views between Tamani and Laurel.  We learn a lot more of what is going on with the sentries, the trolls, and Tamani’s feelings.  I still can’t get through my head how Avalon was founded in such big differences between classes and I agree with Laurel that it doesn’t make sense.  
The writing was easy to read and the plot was good, although I was able to guess some of the high points.  The worst part for me was the major cliffhanger!  What is up with that? As I listened to this book while driving I was sure something was wrong with the last disc and that I was missing something.  By the way I love the voices in the audio recording.
The next and last installment, Destined, will be published on May of 2012.  *Sigh* Let the wait begin!
About the cover:  I don’t like this cover too much. I find the cover of the UK version (Wild) a lot prettier. What do you think?

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...