Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review: The Mephisto Coventant by Trinity Faegen (The Mephisto Covenat #1)

Title: The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen
Published: September 27th 2011 by Egmont
Source: NetGalley for review
Grade rate: B-


Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?


My Review

Overall I enjoyed the Mephisto Covenant, but I have to warn you that I don’t consider this book to be for Young Adults.  Yes, it had to do with a young girl and the high school scene, but it has strong sexual content.
Sasha is a teenager with her share of tragedy and bad luck.  A series of events is triggered by Sasha’s mother new boyfriend and her misplaced decision to visit a Raven’s meeting.  There she learns that she is Anabo, which triggers the explanation of the religious mythology that is the foundation of the story.  Jax, on the other hand, is a dark character that tries hard to be good.  The romance portion is somewhat confusing to both Sasha and Jax, as well as to the reader.  There is a lot of conflicting signals and the romance develops rather quickly, even though we can probably attribute this to the “paranormal” component of the story.
Other characters are well developed and I know we will learn a lot more about Jax’s brothers in future books (I hope you guys find your own Anabo’s too!)  The Luminas we meet are pretty good people, but let me tell you, the bad guys are REALLY bad.  Almost incredibly so, they are mean and cruel, and nasty.  I am glad that the Mephisto are around to take care of the lost souls.
I really like the mythology that is the basis for the book.  Better yet, mostly everything was explained at the very beginning of the book, so we are not left wondering what on earth is going on and can concentrate in other things.  The plot was well paced with the right amount of description, background information, and action.  The writing was easy to read and straightforward (maybe a little too straightforward).  As I said, there are a lot of sexual content and strong scenes for the younger readers as well as a fair amount of cursing and cruelty.  In general the book reminded me a little of Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series, although a lot tamer. 
I will certainly read the next book in the series, as I want to know what happens with the rest of the brothers, and of course I want to see Eryx defeated.
About the cover – It is a beautiful cover; I see the symbolism of crossing a bridge, the color black and the darkness, as well as the light that seems to be coming from Sasha.

 Please check out my 200 Follower Giveaway here!


No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...