Thursday, January 26, 2012

Review: Forbidden by Megan Curd (The Guardian Chronicles #1)


Title: Forbidden by Megan Curd
Published: October 22nd 2011
Source: Purchased for Kindle
Challenge(s): ABC Challenge, eBook Challenge
Grade rate:  A

Levi's job is to protect his human until it's their time to go. That's what a Guard does. He's done it for years on end, and he'll spend his eternity doing the same, mundane thing, following the same, mundane rules. 
...Watch from afar.  ...Never share your name.  ...And above all, never touch a human.  What Levi doesn't know is that his newest human to protect, Hannah, just might be the catalyst to tipping the scales between good and evil, and he will be forced to decide which side he belongs to. Which friends will he side with, and who will he ultimately protect: his human, or the delicate balance that hangs on stopping the heartbeat of the person he has sworn to protect?  And, when you're already condemned, what's there to lose by breaking the rules?  THE GUARDIAN CHRONICLES: FORBIDDEN will take you into a world of Guards and Guardians, Light and Darkness. What side will you take?


My Review

Forbidden was a surprisingly good read or me.  Surprising because, even though this is a book about angels it constructs a unique hierarchy that is easy to understand.

The story is told in the first person from Levi’s point of view.  I found it refreshing to have a guy tell the story for a change.  Levi is a Guard and his “Call” or his assignment, so to speak, is to watch over Hannah.  There are many things that are forbidden for a Guard to do and somehow and without meaning to, Levi breaks the rules.  What happens next is an incredible ride, packed with unique characters, action, and an introduction of the world of the Guardians.  Hannah is stubborn, curious, brave, beautiful and good, and her life is turned upside down by a fact that is not her fault.  I think Levi and her make a really good couple. 

As I mentioned above the characters in the book are amazing.  Besides Levi my favorite characters is Ethan.  Oh boy!  He is handsome, cocky, egocentric and rude, but he is so funny and he is loyal to the end.  I can’t wait to see what happens next with him!  Angie is a conundrum and the dialogue between her and Ethan is priceless! I trusted Clay right away and I hope he makes a good mentor for Levi.

The story is very original as well as the angel lore with its hierarchy and rules.  Ms. Curd’s writing is easy to read, well-paced and flows nicely.  As you can see I really enjoyed Forbidden and cannot wait for its sequel.

About the cover: Of course the angel in the cover is what the book is all about.  I like the play of the light and dark, a symbol for the good and bad (and maybe even gray!)

3 comments:

  1. I haven't really heard of this before, but it sounds interesting! And I love the cover!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it and I hope you try the book :)

      Delete
  2. great review
    the 1st of it i've read

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...