Monday, February 13, 2012

Review: Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton (Goblin Wars #1)


TitleTyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton
Published: November 15th, 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Source:  Library audio book
Challenge(s):  Support Local Library, ABC
Grade rate: C+

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

 Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming

My Review

Tyger Tyger was my introduction to Celtic mythology, of which I knew nothing about.  It has to do with goblins which are mentioned in some paranormal/fantasy books in passing, and in Tyger Tyger we get to really learn about them.

Let me start by saying that this was perhaps not the best audio book to listen to.  The names were very difficult to understand and the story (especially the Celtic myths) is hard to follow.  Another thing was that the Irish accents didn’t seem believable either. 
Teagan is loyal, brave, smart, but somehow she was not likeable or easy to identify with. It is curious that she is not aware of anything strange surrounding her until she meets Finn.  Finn is what is expected of a main male character: handsome, brave, selfless, loyal, funny, but still he falls short to me.  I think he is a little too “detached” to everything and it’s amazing to me that he had to live in the streets by himself for most of his life.  He is too “old-fashioned” and too accepting of his heritage that the loneliness that it brings.  

I found Teagan’s friend Abby the character with the most unique voice and I really liked her.  Teagan’s mother death is brushed over; when I know it should have felt as devastating as it was.  Aiden is a little too “know-it-all” for a five year old, he is a human GPS and has both the sight and special abilities that help him in the Goblin realm.  It doesn’t feel as this story is centered on Teagan and Finn, since Aiden is ever present (and I mean, all the time!)

Tyger Tyger was an okay read for me.  The plot was original, but a bit too confusing.  The ending was a total cliffhanger which means, of course, that I will read its sequel:  In the Forests of the Night.

About the cover:  The three might be the entrance to Mag Mel, I still don’t understand the title of the book either.  The cover is mysterious, but not particular pretty.

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...