Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #12)


*************NOT YOUNG ADULT***********

Title: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
Published: May 1st, 2012 by Ace Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Format: Hardcover book
Challenge(s):
Grade rate: B
  
With Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), in town, it’s the worst possible time for a body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.
Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.

My Review

Well *sigh in relief* that wasn’t so bad.  After being sorely disappointed with the last two books in the series, I have to say that Deadlocked was an improvement.  Not to say that I’m completely happy as to where the story is going, but overall it was a much better book.

This is book 12 in a long series (this is the next to last book) and I will try my best not to spoil it for you, but I have to mention things that happened in the previous books, so please be warned that there will be spoilers from other books in the series.

Sookie is as always a delightful character. She is charming, beautiful, with good manners, personable, loyal and brave.  She had had a really hard time in the past and is trying to cope with all the supernatural things that happen all around her.  Trouble is always following Sookie around and it is part of what makes me keep reading the series.   She had to make some really tough choices this time around and I am proud of her for what she did.

Eric… hmm.  Eric is much more himself in this installment, but he hardly makes an appearance since he is busy with the body found in his front yard, Felipe de Castro’s visit and the visit of his intended.  I wish things were different between them and I don’t know what to think anymore.  Bill makes a longer appearance in Deadlocked, which was refreshing.  I’ve always have a soft spot for Bill and his undying love and support for Sookie, I am glad they remained friends. 

There is no lack of characters in Deadlocked, we get to visit with Warren, Alicide, Niall, Claude, Dermott, Pam, Bubba, Tara, Kennedy, Sam and much more.  I know that sometimes all the re-capping that happens in sequels can be boring, but I was glad of it in this case, otherwise I would have been hopelessly confused.

The plot was better that the last two books, although I wish certain things related to Eric, the fairies and the werewolves didn’t happen (sorry for being so cryptic, but WHY, OH WHY!?).  Don’t worry; I’m saving all my spoilery comments for the review of the last book :)  The writing as great, I really like Charlaine Harris’ style and character building.  After so many years, I honestly don’t know how she keeps all the characters straight in her head!

And not it begins the excruciating wait to the last book, *sigh again* next year.

About the cover:  These are always beautiful covers.  Here we see Sookie, with the Cluviel Dorr (probably spelled it wrong, sorry!), wolves looking at her and an envelope in her hand.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! New follower here :)
    I have read a bit of book 1 in this series, and have skimmed through parts of a few diff books in this series, I see a lot of the books in the show with a few changes here and there.
    This is a series of books I def want to read and have to set time aside to read the books.
    Too bad no one had a Sookie Stackhouse/Tru Blood Challenge..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...