Sunday, July 15, 2012

Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum (Revenants #2)


Published: May 8th by HarperCollins
Source: Purchased
Format: eBook (for Kindle)
Challenge(s): eBook
Grade rate: A-

Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.

My Review

Just wow.  I simply adored Die For Me and I was eager to visit with Vincent and Kate again in Until I Die. This book was poignantly beautiful.

One of the main reasons I love this series is the characters.  Ms. Plum knows how to make each one of her characters into an individual that we learn to love or hate.  I really enjoy Jules (hint *can we get a happy ending for Jules?*), Georgia and Ambrose the most, although, as I said each one of these characters feels distinctive and alive.

I will not go on and on about Kate and Vincent, because we know them from the first book.  Let me just say this: I love you Vincent!  Now that that’s been said, we meet a few new characters in this installment, which I was very ambivalent about; I couldn’t bring myself to trust neither Violette nor Arthur.

The setting again plays a big role in the story. I mean, what could be more romantic than Paris?  The story and the mythology of the revenants and the numa is very original and in Until I Die we get a lot more details that we didn’t know.  The plot was well crafted, but the pace was slower than the first book.  The writing is beautiful, it takes real talent to communicate really deep feelings, like the ones between Vincent and Kate, their sense of desperation and urgency to be together.

I still cannot believe the ending and I am hoping for a miracle, because I refuse to believe it!  That cannot have happened.  Needless to say, I cannot wait for If I Should Die, due to be published on May of next year. 

About the cover: This over is also beautiful.  I like the swirls, and the font.  The colors are appropriately darker in this book. 

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this one! I read Die for Me earlier this year and fell in love with it, so I need to get my hands on this one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously what was up with that wtf ending!? I liked this book much better than the first one. I want Jules to have his own story too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not yet read Die for Me but I think I must now. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...