Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review: The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst (Marriage to a Billionaire #1)


*********Adult Book**********
Title: The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst
Published: February 14, 2012 by Entangled Publishing
Source: Provided by the publisher for review
Format: PDF (read on my Kindle)
Challenge(s):
Grade rate: B+


A marriage in name only...
To save her family home, impulsive bookstore owner, Alexa Maria McKenzie, casts a love spell. But she never planned on conjuring up her best friend's older brother—the powerful man who once shattered her heart.

Billionaire Nicholas Ryan doesn’t believe in marriage, but in order to inherit his father’s corporation, he needs a wife and needs one fast. When he discovers his sister’s childhood friend is in dire financial straits, he’s offers Alexa a bold proposition.

A marriage in name only with certain rules: Avoid entanglement. Keep things all business. Do not fall in love. The arrangement is only for a year so the rules shouldn’t be that hard to follow, right?

Except fate has a way of upsetting the best-laid plans…

My Review

The Marriage Bargain was such a good book!  After I read the synopsis I thought that it would be a very predictable story, instead I found myself savoring every word.

The plot of the story is somewhat predictable and you have probably read a book with this story line before, what make The Marriage Bargain a great book is the writing and the characterization.  The writing is funny, realistic, and quirky and I appreciate that Alexa and Nick were not in ‘agony’ for eleven months before realizing that they were in love.  I really dislike that type of book because it becomes repetitive. 

When the need to get married arrives for both Nick and Alexa they come up with a list of attributes that their partner should have.  This ‘rational’ approach to marriage is hilarious, especially since the lists are almost the complete opposite of each other :).  Alexa was a great character.  She is loyal, loving, fun, tender hearted, but also has her feet firmly set on the ground.  She would to anything for her family, including marrying Nick to save her parent’s home.  Alexa is best friends with Nick’s sister and they knew each other when they were children, so at least she is not marrying a complete stranger.

As I said, this is a great story, steamy love scenes, funny situations, and amazing characters.  I truly enjoyed the story and I can’t wait to read about Maggie and Michael in book # 2 of the series!

About the cover:  Steamy, but tasteful.


Have you read this book?  What do you think of the cover?

2 comments:

  1. I like a good romance that makes you laugh. I have to check this out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... I read this book called The Marriage Pact by MJ Pullen, and this sounds almost exactly like that book, except the main characters didnt know each other.
    Anyways, I really enjoyed that book, so I would assume this one would be good too, especially with how you describe the writing! :)
    Great review

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...