Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Books Dealing with Tough Subjects


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish

I have to confess that I try to avoid books with tough subjects. Nonetheless, I have managed to read a few throughout the years.  Here are my top ten:


1.  Willow by Julia Hoban - This story is heartbreaking, it not only deals with grief, but on using cutting as an outlet for the pain.  


2.  Just Listen by Sarah Dessen - I adore Sarah Dessen books, she deals with tough subjects with depth, but still very tastefully.  Just Listen is about rape, understanding, love, fear, and a lot more.



3.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - If you read this book, I don't need to explain further. If you haven't, what are you waiting for?


4.  A Blue so Dark by Holy Schindler - This one is heart wrenching.  It has to do with a teenager dealing with her schizophrenic mother after her dad bailed out of the marriage.



5.  The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder - This is a beautiful story of loss, faith and the search for miracles.



6.  Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler - This book has a paranormal twist to it, but in essence i it's about anorexia and asking for help.



7.  The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson - This is one of my favorite books ever!  Such an amazing story of loss, grief and first love.



8.  Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen - I can probably fill out a page just with Dessen's books... Although this one is not my favorite, it is very raw and emotional as it has to do with drug abuse and the repercussions it has on a family.


9. Easy by Tammara Webber - This is an amazing book!  It's hard to read about rape and other unspeakable horrors, but this story is just all the better because of it.



10.  Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles - You might think of this book as the incredible love story it is, but it has to do with mental disease and with gangs too, and the price to pay when trying to get out.

That's it for me... What's in your Top Ten this week?





4 comments:

  1. Great picks, Liza! Do you know I still haven't read The Fault In Our Stars? #bloggerfail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have TFioS on my list as well. Haven't read any of the others, apart from Perfect Chemistry, but several are on my TBR.

    Here's my TTT post.

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone keeps telling me to read The Sky is Everywhere. Gotta get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh I've read seven in this list. Easy was great! also The probability of miracles <3

    great list!
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...