Monday, January 27, 2014

ALA Midwinter 2014


Hi there gorgeous people!  I'm back from Philadelphia and so excited to tell you all about my first ALA conference.  

I drove on Friday and left the house around 1:00 because I wanted to make it there while there was light out.  That's always a good idea when you don't know where you're going and when the roads are not the best either (due to the recent snowfall).

I parked and checked in my bags at the hotel and proceed to registration and to wait at the Convention Center for the exhibit hall to open, and also to wait for my partners in crime for the weekend (AKA: the ALA adventure); the fabulous Christina and Melissa from Allodoxophobia.  Thanks for Hannah from The Irish Banana Reviews, Jen from Jenuine Cupcakes and Andye from Reading Teen for your companionship and guidance! That first day I got quite a few books, and the hall was open for just 1 1/2 hours!  
Melissa and Christina

When Melissa and Christina arrived to Philly, we went to Jim's at South Street,
for cheese steak sandwiches (see  the evidence to the right).  I do have to say that it was awesome!  

On Saturday, Katie from Bibliogato joined us and so the four of us embarked in the adventure.  After going to BEA twice, ALA Midwinter was very refreshing.  The Exhibit hall is big, but much less crowded.  Also, the publicists and other staff working on the booths of the publishing houses were really helpful and friendlier.  This might have to do with, as I said, the more easygoing pace and less number of people fighting for their attention.  Another big difference is that there are not as many book signings, and if there are, the signings are smaller and less stressful affairs.  


Saturday night, we went to dinner at the Walnut Street Supper Club, and it was a great experience.  The food was amazing (I had lobster ravioli) and there was live music too.  It is full pictures of old movie and music stars, and it's decorated at the style of the 40s - 50s.  


The check comes in this cool hollowed out book:


On Sunday, we went to the exhibit hall again for about an hour and at that time I headed home.  I was a tiering weekend, but oh, so worth it!  This is a picture of my haul:  

Stayed tuned and come back on Saturday to see all the books I got!


6 comments:

  1. looks like you had a wonderful time^^ i will be waiting to see what you got^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I'm so mad I didn't go! This looked like it was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this looks like so much fun! I'm glad you had a great time! I'm anxiously awaiting to see what goodies you have in those bags! Great post, Liza!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...