Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish
This week’s Top Ten is really hard! I can think of endings I would like to see re-written, characters that shouldn’t have died and did, series that were too long to hold my interest, or the ones that I wish would never end, and so on and so forth. However, I don’t think that I ever just thought “hmm… I wish there was a book about x,y,z” Thus, be warned that I might not make to ten (just saying!).
1. YA books with Hispanic characters – Why? Because I’m Hispanic and our culture is very family oriented and conservative and this comes with a host of problems and interactions. Also, our extended families are HUGE and we have a highly developed sense of responsibility toward them.
2. YA historical – I love historical romances, it’s what I read for years before fining my way to YA and they hold a very dear place in my heart. I would like to see more of these in YA.
Who did it well: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
3. YA thrillers – I love books where there is a mystery, a lot of running and figuring out stuff. Clear as mud? Well, I don’t see a lot of these in YA, in fact I can’t think of any I’ve read recently. Can you?
4. YA Steampunk – This is a relatively new genre for me and I love it! It’s a combination of paranormal, mystery, historical and with a lot of machines involved.
5. Fantasy – I know there has been a boom of fantasy in YA lately, but I love it. Especially since most often than not, it’s paired with magic or paranormal undertones.
6. Comedies – Sometimes I just feel like reading a light, fluffy, funny story.
Who did it well: Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Sorry, that’s all I can think off! I’m sure all your lists will be more impressive than mine. Leave me a comment and I’ll come check them out!