Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish

This week’s Top Ten is really hard!  I can think of endings I would like to see re-written, characters that shouldn’t have died and did, series that were too long to hold my interest, or the ones that I wish would never end, and so on and so forth. However, I don’t think that I ever just thought “hmm… I wish there was a book about x,y,z” Thus, be warned that I might not make to ten (just saying!).


1.  YA books with Hispanic characters – Why?  Because I’m Hispanic and our culture is very family oriented and conservative and this comes with a host of problems and interactions. Also, our extended families are HUGE and we have a highly developed sense of responsibility toward them.  

Who did it wellThe Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


2.  YA historical – I love historical romances, it’s what I read for years before fining my way to YA and they hold a very dear place in my heart.  I would like to see more of these in YA.

Who did it well: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

3.  YA thrillers – I love books where there is a mystery, a lot of running and figuring out stuff.  Clear as mud?  Well, I don’t see a lot of these in YA, in fact I can’t think of any I’ve read recently.  Can you?


4.  YA Steampunk – This is a relatively new genre for me and I love it!  It’s a combination of paranormal, mystery, historical and with a lot of machines involved. 

Who did it well: The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross and Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld


5.  Fantasy – I know there has been a boom of fantasy in YA lately, but I love it. Especially since most often than not, it’s paired with magic or paranormal undertones. 

Who did it well:  Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass and The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson


6. Comedies – Sometimes I just feel like reading a light, fluffy, funny story. 

Who did it well: Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Sorry, that’s all I can think off!  I’m sure all your lists will be more impressive than mine.  Leave me a comment and I’ll come check them out!


7 comments:

  1. Even though I personally didn't like the book, because I don't like thrillers: Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/615.Best_Teen_Horror_Suspense_Thriller
    Totally agree on the comedies, love them!
    If you want to come check out my list: http://bimsebamse.blogspot.com/2014/01/top-ten-tuesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the more comedies and historical. Grave Mercy was one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see more historical novels, and I love how they're on almost everyone's lists this week! Same goes for thrillers. I don't think I've read any steampunk yet, but I must fix that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I would love more comedies, it's always nice to read a book that gets you laughing out loud!

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read THE DARK UNWINDING and A SPARK UNSEEN by Sharon Cameron? I love this 2-book YA steampunk series. Try it if you haven't already.

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your "who did it well". Some great recommendations in there

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...