Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods and Monsters #1)

Title: Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton
Published: February 22, 2011 by Simon Pulse
Source: Bought for Kindle

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.

Review
A great start to a new series!  This novel is a mix of paranormal, action, mythology and romance.  It follows Ari, our kick-ass heroine to the abandoned city of New Orleans were paranormal beings run the city.  Ari is a great, strong female character that can cry one minute and kill a monster the next. 
I loved the other characters that become Ari's new 'family' and the affinity they have for each other in such a short time.  This is an action packed book, but very easy to read (I finished it in a few hours.)  Did you know I love mythology?  Specially Greek mythology (one of the reasons I loved the Percy Jackson series.)  If you, like me, love mythology and paranormal books, look no more, this is the one for you.
One of the things I didnt' like about the story was the romance between Sebastian and Ari.  It happened in less than 24 hours of knowing each other!  For two characters that seem to be otherwise very skeptical and careful, the romance doesn't came off as believable.  One of the things that I like the most is that Ari (and everyone else) learns and knows what she really is and we don't have to wait until the next installment.  Overall a great, quick, and interesting read.
About the cover:  Didn't like this cover at all!  The design and the font were both off for me, I only bought the book because I heard great things about it.

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...