Monday, June 13, 2011

Review: Across the Universe (#1)

Title: Accross the Universe by Beth Revis
Published: January 11, 2011 by Razorbill
Source: Library
  
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Review

Overall, I liked this debut novel.  It was a little slow at first, as it required a lot of background information about the Godspeed and the 'future'.   I didn't find a strong connection to Eldest and Amy, but at the end I hoped that there would be more of a romance. Instead, we were given an opening for the future books to come (you see, dumb me didn't know this was a series.)

I don't think that I would have been able to make the decision that Amy made. I think I would have preferred to stay with my family on Earth and live a happy life, that being frozen in limbo for centuries. Her experiences before, during and after being frozen would drive crazy a lesser mortal and were very diffucult for me to read.

As for the life in this space ship, I don't know where to start.  The way people were  treated made me sick to my stomach.  I wonder what will happen now that they will have their full faculties.  To be honest, I  was able to guess a lot of what was going on, although there were a few surprises. 


I will definitely pick up the rest of the books in the series.

About the cover: This is a beautiful cover, the colors are vibrant and it depicts Any and Elder, kind of oposites meeting in the vast universe.  Very fitting.

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...