Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Spells (Wings #2)

Tittle: Spells by Aprilynne Pike
Published: May 4th, 2010 by Harper Teen
Source: Library (audio book)

Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.

When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?


Review
This is the first audio book that I have tried.  I told myself that it was a good idea to try it since I spend about one hour in my car commuting to work.  How was the experience you ask?  I think I like it enough that I will be checking another audio book from my library soon.  The pros - I was able to 'read' another book (it took me about two weeks to finish it) and the actor that read the book was really good.  The cons - since this is a book about fairies, it was hard to follow certain parts and the name of the characters (I still don't know how they're spelled!)  Also you have to place close attention to the book, so if you like to plan or think as you drive, then don't listen to an audio book while driving.

The book starts about six months after the end of 'Wings'.  You really have to read the fist book to understand 'Spells'.  I was a little disappointed with the novel.  There was not a lot of action (only two scenes,) as this book concentrated more around Laurel's struggle to balance her human and fairy lives.  I found the love story between David and Laurel very well developed, but while I like David, I like Tamani even more.  The last scene of the book was quite heartbreaking.  I don't understand what Laurel is supposed to do when it is obvious to every human that she will not age, I think it would be easier to transition to her fairy life sooner rather than later (but that is just my opinion.)

The descriptions of Avalon where very well done, although I cannot help but share Laurel's opinion about the obvious class division and discrimination that all fairies take for granted.  I hope that 'Illussions' turns out better than Spells.

About the cover: I am not impressed with the cover.  I understand why there is a flower on the cover, but the dark colors don't reflect the mood of the story at all.

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...