Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin (Low Red Moon #1)

Title: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin
Published: September 14, 2011 by Bloomsbury
Source: Library
Grade Rate: C

 The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died.Part murder mystery, part grief narrative, and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans.

Review

When I read the synopsis for 'Low Red Moon' I thought it had all the makings of a good novel, but I found it a little disjointed.  The story as a whole is a combination of romance, the paranormal, and a mystery.  The book is short and the story felt rushed.

The story is told from Avery's point of view and it starts with her recollection of the events after her parents death.  I sympathize with Avery, as this must be a very traumatic experience, not only did she lost her parents, but her memory of the crime and on top of all she had to live with a grandmother she hardly knew.  Some things did not seem believable to me, for example that she will be back in school within days of the incident. 

There are very few characters in 'Low Red Moon', the more important were Avery, her grandmother, and Ben.  I liked Ben, although it was a little confusing to keep track of both his and Avery's feelings (I wouldn't want that bond, for sure.)  The relationship between Avery and Ben is my least favorite part of the book.  I know what you must be thinking, but it was way too fast be feel realistic.  I understand they had some sort of supernatural bond, but you just don't fall in love that fast.  Also, they were struggling with other issues and this fast development was very confusing to them too.  And what is up with all the suspicions, and changing their mind about trusting each other (it seem that by the hour)?
Another main character was the 'woods' and they seem to have eyes, ears, feelings, and a long memory. 

The writing felt a little rushed and somewhat confusing, since Avery seemed to change her mind quite often.

The mystery component of the plot I did like, and although I had my suspicions on who murdered Avery's parents, Ms. Devlin kept me guessing until the end. The ending was also very fast paced and left it wide open for the sequel, 'Moonrise' due to be published on January of 2012. 

About the cover:  The cover is very pretty, the color red matches the title and also symbolizes the blood spilled in the woods.  The letters are silver, which is another color that is significant to the plot.  The pages of the book are just as pretty, with red letters at the beginning of each chapter and red drawings at the bottom of the pages (see my post from Friday to see it.)

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...