Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa (Iron Fey #4)

Title: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
To be published: October 25th, 2011 by Harlequin
Source: NetGalley for Review
Grade rate: A+

Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.



To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.


My Review

Oh My Gosh! Wow! Awesome! (glad to get that off my chest!)  I don't even know how to start describing how good this novel is.  I have loved the Iron Fey series from the beginning as well as falling in love with its characters.  If you have ever visited my blog, you will notice the proud display of my Team Ash banner.  The Iron Queen was a bittersweet read for me and I cried like a fool (or so my hubby told me ;) I was ecstatic when the fourth and final book of the series was announced.

The Iron Knight is told from Ash's point of view and it was a brilliant decision.  Ash has always been surrounded by mystery and in this installment we get to know him like never before.  We know his hopes, his regrets, his feelings, and his thoughts and it was an amazing journey.  Ash, Puck and Grimalkin set up to find the End of the World in order for Ash to earn a soul, and in the way they find other companions.  Ms. Kagawa added here a very unexpected twist and needless to say my mouth was hagging open for a full minute (just like Puck's, I'm sure.)  This is an adventure of epic proportions, full of trials, challenges, danger, and excitement.

The writing was flawless, I bow to you Ms. Kagawa, for your style and insight.  The plot is packed full of action, but it also allows the time we need to get to know Ash (and Puck) better and for him to come to terms with his feelings.

The Iron Knight is in short brilliant and it's by far my favorite book in the series.  I hope that when we get Ethan's story in Ms. Kagawa's next series, we get a glimpse at Meghan, Ash, Puck and the other characters that we have learn to love to well.  I wish I could tell you more, but alas, I strive to keep my reviews 'spoiler free.'

About the cover:  Is just beautiful, just as I imagine Ash to be (except the eyes that are silver.) It has be same feel as the other covers in the series, with similar swirls and font. What can I say? Perfect!  

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had a chance to get to reading the Iron Fae series but I really want to. This review has just reinforced that desire. Thanks Liza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are so lucky for getting this book for review. I want to have this book , now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash refuses to not try to return to his beloved, but knows only one way he can achieve his heart's desire. He must turn moral so iron will no longer burn him. With his partners Puck and Grimalkin, Ash sets out on a personal odyssey, but the trek proves much more difficult than he and his allies imagined as it is not simple to gain a soul though it is easy to lose one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...