Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith


Published: January 2nd, 2012 by Poppy/Little Brown
Source: Library
Challenge(s): Support Local Library, ABC
Grade rate: A-


Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

My Review

Even though it wasn’t what I was expecting, I really liked The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.  It was a quick, but satisfying read; sort of like wearing your favorite jammies and sipping a cup of hot cocoa.

Hadley is a sarcastic, full of phobias, opinionated, and pretty girl that has been irrevocably affected by her parents’ divorce.  I think that in her mind the problems grew out of proportion (like they do for every teenager!) at a point that it affected her more than either her mom or dad.  The divorce changed her view of the world and turned her a little bitter.  I am not saying that what she went through was not real and painful, only that it took her longer to overcome it.  
Oliver is a handsome, British (have to love the accent, right?) student that happens to be headed to London in the same plane with Hadley.  I wish I liked Oliver more, he had all the right ingredients for a great character, but for some reason I didn’t like him as much.  He was obviously raised very differently and he bottled everything up and it wasn’t easy for him to share his feelings. 

Other characters in the book, Hadley’s parents and the future Mrs. Professor were quirky and likeable.  The plot was simple and great; it is amazing that so much happens in so little amount of time!  From Hadley’s change of heart and view of the wedding, to her attachment to Oliver, to the adventure to the unknown, it has all the makings of a good story.  It is a rollercoaster of feelings, attachments, friendships and love.  Do I believe in love at first sight?  Absolutely!  

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a great, easy to read contemporary read, which is romantic without being sappy or corny.  Love it!

About the cover:  I really like the cover and the font.  It portraits that feeling, when you are with your one and only and you feel like you are the only two people in the world.  Remember that feeling?  I know I do!


Please enter my I Love YA Hop Giveaway here!

Please enter Priscilla's Hot Boys in Books Hop Giveaway here and my entry here!

No comments:

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...