Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Destined by Aprilynne Pike (Wings #4)


Title: Destined by Aprilynne Pike
Published: May 1st, 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: Library
Format: Hardcover
Challenge(s): Support Local Library
Grade rate: B+

Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.

She hated how much it felt like good-bye.

Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful - and deadly - of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.

My Review

It is always sad when I’m opening the last book in a series.  It’s like knowing that I would soon have to say goodbye characters and a world that I’ve come to love.  I think this is so true for Destined, the last book in the Wings series.

To say that Destined is action packed is an understatement.  The whole story takes place in a little over 24 hours, stating right where Illusions ended.  Klea, Yuki and the trolls attack Avalon and it’s a war for survival among beings that are stronger and the power of chemical warfare that Klea unleashes.  It is really hard to do this review without spoiling it for you, but I’ll do my best :)

We finally see all the characters we’ve come to love shine and others, as it happens in wars, don’t make it.  Laurel’s actions and decisions are crucial at the end, and even Chelsea and especially David have their moment of glory and fame.  Avalon rises to the occasion and they fight as best as they can. 

So, by know you must be asking: Who ends up with Laurel?  Well, I’m not telling… let me just say that I was ever so happy about it.  There is a particular scene towards the end that is golden (*big sigh*).

Queen Marion is despicable, and I’m glad that Jamison knows how to play the game of power and put all his pieces in place years before.  I am also happy that all of Avalon was there to witness her treachery. 

The plot of the story is intricate, with many surprising turns.  Ms. Pike is a masterful storyteller, and Destined was able to capture the magic that started with Wings. The ending was a big of a disappointment for me.  I know that Ms. Pike warns us not to read the last part if we liked the ending, but I did any way and it made me so sad.  I think also that the ending was kind of abrupt and I didn’t have a chance to savor it.  I would love to see more of Laurel and ‘mystery lover’ (my lips are sealed!), and what their live together was like.  Also, there is a big opportunity for a companion series after Jasmine becomes queen (*hint*).

The Wings series is a wonderful and vivid addition to the fairy worlds and I hope you give it a try.

About the cover:  I like the cover of Destined best, after Wings.  I like the color blue of the flower and the font too.


Have you read the Wings series?  Do you like books about fairies?  Do you like alternate endings?

Remember to enter my Follower Appreciation Giveaway – Here 

Pushing the Limits Giveaway - Here

1 comment:

  1. I was so sad to see Wings end. I am so happy with Laurel's decision to be with who she's with at the end. They are so, so sweet together! I'd been hoping for this from book one! I would LOVE to see a companion series. I adore faerie books and am not quite ready to let go of Laurel's world. I actually love Destined the most of all the Wings book and am not disappointed with the way it ends. For me, the first ending is the one for Laurel, and the last chapter is the close for another character. While Laurel has her happy ending, not everyone can share it with her.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...