Sunday, May 5, 2013

Review: If I Should Die by Amy Plum (Revenants #3)


Title: If I Should Die by
Published: May 7th, 2013 by Harper Teen
Source: ARC (thanks to the wonderful Hannah from The Irish Banana)
Format: Paperback
Group age: Young adult
Genre: Paranormal / Romance
Challenge(s): 2013 Finish the series
Grade rate: A

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

My Review

Oh. My. Gosh!  Yep, it’s that good.  The Revenants series is another one that I’m very sad to see come to an end. Before I forget, let me get this out of my chest: I knew it!!!  Well, now that that’s over, on with the review.

If I Should Die was so darn good that I stayed up until one in the morning to be able to finish it (a fact that I paid for dearly the next day!).  I couldn’t put it down, it was SO good, with more action that its predecessors.  The book starts right where Until I Die ended, which was a cruel cliffhanger.  I really don’t want to spoil the book for you, but let’s just say that my worst fears came to fruition. But to our heroine Kate this just poses a challenge, a question that needs an answer and she is more than willing to find it in order to be with Vincent again. 

Kate becomes even more amazing in this book, more mature, resourceful and more of a leader.  It’s a good think that she found the guérisseurs in the previous book because Bran has a bigger and more important role here.  Vincent is (eventually), the same as always and I adore his complete surrender and love for Kate; it’s the stuff of dreams *sigh* Theirs is one of the most heartfelt and real romances, I love them as a couple! 

Oh Jules, I feel for you and I wish things were different.  I missed you! We meet a few new characters in this book and get to visit with old ones as well.  I enjoyed reading about Charlotte, Ambrose, Arthur, and most of all Georgia, she is a riot!  As you can guess, Plum’s characterization is outstanding.

There is a ‘war’ in this book and as such there are losses for both, the good and the bad guys.  It seems like there is so much that we (the reader) don’t know about the Revenants and even things that they don’t know because they were lost over the centuries.

The plot is awesome!  It might be a little too convenient, but it works for me.  The writing is beautiful, flawless, and well-paced.  I’m a fan of Amy Plum for life; since I turned the first page of  Die for Me!

I am very happy with If I Should Die, BUT think there is a lot of room for more books or maybe a companion series from Vincent’s point of view, just so we know what happens next with the Paris Revenants and with Georgia.  A lot of questions were answered, however, a lot more were raised and it is the beginning of Kate’s new life, I wish to know MORE. 

Some quotes for you: (please note that these are from the ARC and might change)

“And who do you think you are? Wonder Woman?”
“I would say Kate’s more Catwoman,”  Georgia commented. Much cooler. Less derivative.” – Ambrose and Georgia

“You are my life, Kate. I have been fighting my destiny to be with you, and after all that struggle I find myself powerless…  Something inside me that had been still and silent since my first death all of a sudden sparked and began to live again… - Vincent

About the cover: These covers are all beautiful. I like the view of Kate on the bridge, looking at the water and we can see a shadow reflected on the wall (presumably Vincent).  I also like the colors and the swirls.

1 comment:

  1. I love this series with a passion. Kate & Vincent are just so perfect together, even though I have a soft spot for Jules. I agree, I love Amy's writing so much. An awesome book & series. Great review!

    Vivian
    Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one and I will try to reply as soon as I can. Liza

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...