This survey comes from the wonderful Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner and you can find more information here.
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Contemporary YA – Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, Just One Day / Just One Year by Gayle Forman, Wait for You by J. Lynn
Historical Fiction – The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Paranormal — The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor, part fantasy, part paranormal , part romance
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Crash by Lisa McMann, such a good premise and a beautiful cover.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
I would say The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, it is so different, so good and the feels were amazing. Another surprising book was Viral Nation by Shaunta Grimes, I didn’t think I would love it because the protagonist is autistic and it sounded like another dystopian, it isn’t though.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Probably the Girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson, such an amazing story! I read the last two books this year.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Angelfall by Susan Ee, even though I just started the second book, I have great hope for the series. Also, The Collector (book two is The Liberator) by Victoria Scott. How can anyone help not fall in love with Dante?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Katja Millay (see #1 above), her writing is just amazing, I will read anything she writes. Makus Zusak, or course.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I don’t think I read any new genres and the only book I can think of that was out of my comfort zone was The Book Thief, because the setting is Nazi Germany.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Timeless by Gail Carriger, Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. The list could go on and on.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, I fell in love with Isaiah and Rachel’s story.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Awaken by Meg Cabot
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
How to narrow this down? I think I love all the characters from Maggie Stiefvater’s Raven Boys, but specially Gansey.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
This is really hard you guys! I read many beautifully written books this year. I guess I’ll have to go with The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Another hard one, I think it might the The Book Thief. It made me realize the how fragile life is and how someone can overcome any obstacle and any tragedy if their spirit is strong enough.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout! I have meet Jennifer in several book events and it took me forever to start the Lux series. I love it!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
From The Scorpio Races:
“Tell me what to wish for." Tell me what to ask the sea for."
"To be happy. Happiness."
"I don't think such a thing is had on Thisby. And if it is, I don't know how you would keep it."
"You whisper to it. What it needs to hear. Isn't that what you said?"
"That's what I said. What do I need to hear?"
"That tomorrow we'll rule the Scorpio Races as king and queen of Skarmouth and I'll save the house and you'll have your stallion. Dove will eat golden oats for the rest of her days and you will terrorize the races each year and people will come from every island in the world to find out how it is you get horses to listen to you. The piebald will carry Mutt Malvern into the sea and Gabriel will decide to stay on the island. I will have a farm and you will bring me bread for dinner."
"That's what I needed to hear.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Jack Templar, Monster Hunter by Jeff Hungus with 197 pages (middle grade)
Longest: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak with 552 pages
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Probably Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi because is not out yet and I’m dying to talk about it!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romantic – Aria and Perry from Under the Never Sky series, Rachel and Isaiah from Crash Into You, and Cam and Avery from Wait for Me
Friendship – Aria and Roar from the Under the Never Sky series, Gansey and Blue and Gansey and Ronan from The Raven Boys series
Family – Papa and Liesel from The Book Thief
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, it was recommended by Christina and Andye,, members of our YADC group.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Is a toss between Paranormal and Contemporary.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Dante from The Collector by Victoria Scott, Ezra from The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider, and Cam from Wait for You by J. Lynn
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
The Sea of Tranquility and The Collector (I didn’t read many debuts this year :()
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor and The Girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson. I think this is a challenge for anything related to fantasy
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
My Ex From Hell by Tallulah Darling which is a modern twist on the Hades and Persephone myth
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
I must like crying because this happens often. This year it was The Sea of Tranquility, The Book Thief, and Just One Day.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I finally read the Dairy Queen series by Catherine Gilbert Murdock and I love it! D.J. has such an unique voice. Also the Endless Summer series by C.J. Duggan (new adult) is really good (I read the first two books)